Monday, December 20, 2010

It's the week of Christmas!

I love this time of year, especially my tree and sending out (and getting - there, I said it) Christmas cards.

This year...I have to admit...is gonna be a little sad for me.  I haven't spent every single Christmas with my family, not the exact day, but we have always gotten together for a few days sometime during the holidays.  Not this year.  It's weird to wrap and ship a box off to the crazy Jones/Frasier clan.   The store has played nonstop Christmas music since Thanksgiving.  No, I am not sick of it yet.  I do get a little choked up when I hear "I'll Be Home for Christmas".  Especially the last line, "if only in my dreams."  Somebody get my mother a tissue?

On Saturday, I was on the first register, which is closest to the free coffee area.  My store (Ha!  Last time I checked, my last name was not Harris OR Teeter) has free coffee, cookies and balloons.  All day, every day.  I love when I'm about to check someone out and get an "Oh, Dear?  Would you mind throwing this (their half full coffee cup) out for me?". So on Saturday, my back was to the coffee area and I had not been paying attention to what was going on behind me.  All of a sudden, a blue grass band started playing Christmas music.  REALLY LOUDLY!  I didn't know they were there and about jumped out of my skin!  Blue grass music - you either love it or you hate it.  No in between.  Guess how I feel about it.  Go on - guess!

My store is closed on Christmas.  Robin has to work from 6 a.m. til noon.  Not bad.  She just asked me when do I want to do our Christmas?  We agreed we'd make a nice meal and exchange little gifts when she got home.  I think she (she's JEWISH, BTW) had in mind doing Christmas before she went to work at 6.
Then I started thinking that I could make a nice meal that morning and have it ready when she got home.  Prime rib is really what I had in mind and I mentioned it to her. 

Me:  "What do you want to eat on Christmas?"

Her:  "I don't care."

Me:  "I know!  Prime rib!  How's that sound?"

Her:  "I want ham."

What an outstanding Jew she is.  It's fine though.  I'll buy some Jewish rye and have great ham and cheese sandwiches for a few days.

No comments: