Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve Din-Din

I was on call today, which meant I  had to call the store at 1:00 to see if I would need to work.  Having so much to do, I got up and out of here early.  Had to buy Robin and the animals a few last minute things and buy groceries for Christmas dinner and stock up for the impending snow storm.

After much deliberation, I decided to splurge on prime rib for tomorrow tonight.  That meant Christmas Eve dinner would be financially compromised.  We had talked about just getting some snacks, but that adds up.  Then it dawned on me!  Robin's favorite meal is spaghetti.  I have some homemade sauce in the freezer.  I  indulged (had to use the thesaurus on that one - almost said "splurge" again - yikes) on some garlic bread and ...VOILA, Christmas Eve dinner!!!  She'd be happy and I could use the extra savings to buy something more important than food...like dog bones.

Got everything done and home by 1:00.  $20.00 under budget, I might add.  Called the store - don't have to work.  (Three days in a row off for me!!!!!  Happy Christmas!!!  Plus it's gonna snow!!!)  Took Robin some lunch and she asked about dinner.  Proudly told her of my plan.  Got an "Oh." 

One of the things we had briefly discussed when we were thinking snacks  for dinner was the Velveeta Dip that I make about once a year.  Velvetta, hamburger and salsa.  That's it.  It's sinfully delicious.

"Why the 'oh'?"

"No, that sounds good."

"Then why the 'oh'?"

"I've been craving that Velveeta stuff ever since you mentioned it."

"You'll be happy with spaghetti".  (I didn't really say that.  Just trying to act like I'm the one who wears the pants in the family.)

So after I left her store, I took the remaining money and bought the ingredients for our White Trash Christmas Eve Dinner.  Came to $18.64.  What can I splurge on for $1.36?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Milk Duds...

Helloooooooo. It's called dessert!
:)

Unknown said...

Shoot! Maybe I can reach Robin in time and get her to bring some home. Thanks!!!