Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Dear Winter, We're done. No Love, Kim

Got back from lunch break yesterday and Delores called me into the office.  "What now?" was my first thought.

D:  "Your mother called...."

Me (in my head):  "Oh my GOD...who's hurt?"

D:  (reading from notes)  "Robin fell in your driveway.  She slipped on ice.  Wally took her to the hospital and is with her now.  They think she broke her leg."

Me:  "Can I leave early?"

Long story short, I did leave a  little early, but not when I wanted to.  Like right then.

Got to the hospital and found Robin.  This was not our first rodeo when it comes to Robin and the ER.  Last time I met her there, the smell of the hospital made me so sick and I literally threw up.  (I'm very delicate.)  I must have looked awful because when the doctor came in, he thought I was the patient.  That's when she broke her hand. 

She had x-rays and sure enough, she fractured her tibia and fibula down by her ankle.  Took her to the orthopedist today and she is in a cast.  No weight bearing for six weeks.

Robin is a bad patient and I'm a bad nurse.  But I try to look at the bright side.  She is manic about getting the tree down before the new year.   If it was up to me, I'd leave it up until the needles started falling off and then some. In the past, I have gone to work between Christmas and the new year, and have come home to find my tree at the curb, usually with no less than five ornaments on it that she "didn't see".

Not this year.  I stopped watering the tree a few days ago in anticipation of the mess involved if there's still a lot of water in the tree stand.  Well guess what.  I watered that sucker to the rim last night.  I'm thinking of taking it down as a birthday present to her.  On February 19th.

My mom sent us tons of gift cards to various places, one of which was Lowe's.  Had visions of buying a snow shovel and some salt.  Or, if we don't get any more snow, maybe some flowers in the spring.  For some reason, I now see a sledge hammer in my mind and can't stop saying, "I know that, Mister Man."  You have to have seen Stephen King's "Misery" to get that one.  Robin saw it.  Robin is afraid.  I pulled into Lowe's on the way home from the doctor just to freak her out a little.

One of her friends just told her that she is at my mercy.  At my mercy.  I like that!!!!

PS:  I want to you to notice the can of dog food on the coffee table next to her meds in the first picture.  Her ashtray.

No comments: