Wednesday, October 27, 2010

First Day on the J.O.B.

My first day went beautifully!!  I can't believe I actually loved it.  Got my eye on a coupla old men to be my sugar daddies.  Why settle for one?  The minute I got there, I was instructed to tuck my shirt in.  Once I got that overwith, the day was great.  The lady who trained me was super nice.  Kinda chatty, though, and once she learned of my workers' comp background, I had to hear all about her daughter's WC claim.  It was OK, though.  My trainer's name is Grace, but she looks like a Helen.  She stepped away from me a few times and when I called "Helen" and she ignored me, I assumed she's hard of hearing.  The manager came over at one point and asked a few 'how is everything/you doing OK/everyone treating you right' questions.  I teasingly told him everyone was very nice, except for Helen.  He asked, "Who's Helen?"  Then I felt so sorry for Helen that the manager doesn't even know her name.  Jeez, she's only worked there seven years.  I was standing kinda behind Helen and sort of nodded my head toward her, letting him know that Helen was the lady right in front of him, duh.  He said, "You mean Grace?"

No wonder she ignored me when I called her.

Next to the tucking of the shirt, my biggest fear was standing on my feet for eight hours, less 30 minutes for lunch.  I worked at a "7-11" two summers in college.  I was 25 years younger and maybe 40 pounds lighter.  I remember coming home at night and my feet were excrutiatingly painful.  Yesterday I anticipated the worst and was pleasantly surprised!  Then I thought I'll pay for it today - nope.  Feel just fine.

Then there turned out to be something wrong with my FL driver's license and they sent me on a wild goose chase this morning to the DMV to get a NC license.  (There really is not anything wrong with my FL license.  When I moved from Jacksonville to Miami, they just extended it so it expires in 2013.  I didn't have a problem with that because my picture was taken 15 years ago.)   Harris Teeter doesn't allow employees to work with extended licenses. 

I woke up a 4:00 this morning, dreading the DMV.  Got there and it wasn't bad.  At all.  Since I need to get my NC license a.s.a.p., I decided to jump right into taking the written test.  Hell, I've been driving for almost 30 years.  25 questions.  You must get 20/25.  Miss six and you're dead.  Got through one, two and three.  This'll be a breeze.  And then I missed one.  And another.  And another.  Before I knew it, I was on Question 13 and I'd missed my five!!!  12 questions left and I can't miss ANY???  THANK YOU GOD, I got the rest of them right.

That was good, but I still do not have my NC license, and I can't work until I get it.  I had my FL license and my Social Security card, but the license doesn't have my middle name and my SS card has the middle initial "E".  Need my birth certificate.  Came home and order that STAT.  Meanwhile, I emailed my BFF, Ingrid, who works for the Clerk of the Court.  She doesn't exactly usually responded to my emails very quickly, so I just went ahead and ordered it.  $64.25.  Two minutes later, Ingrid responded that she'd get it for me and mail it - something about so I can get my ass to work.  Too late.  Oh well.

THEN, Delores (boss) called and said that they've overlooking my license problem and I can maintain my schedule.

Got some more rejections to my queries, but am going to keep at it.  Until I get my sugar daddies lined up, that is.

No comments: