Monday, October 11, 2010

Are you kidding me?

Robin had to work yesterday.  My friend, Tina, had plans to go hiking with some of her friends and wound up getting blown off.  She was super pissed at her husband and just wanted to get out of the house.  She called me up and invited me to go to the flea market with her.  So she picked me up around 9:00 and we went.  Walked around for hours and ate some Mexican.  Food, that is.  Mexican food.

Then she convinced me to go gambling with her.  There are very few nondescript practically hidden liquor stores around here, but the  gambling places outnumber the Starbucks.  Had fun - went up, went down - lost $20.00.

Swung by the store to show Robin our flea market treasures.  She was less than thrilled to see the new curtains I bought for the dog room for $1.00.  She had to work two hours later than she'd thought, so Tina and I went back and gambled/lost some more money.  Went back to the store, picked up Robin, stopped by the house and let the dogs out.   Didn't bother checking the messages.  Big mistake I would later learn. Here's the thing.  Robin and I both disconnected our cell phones.  We really don't need them here and the way money is at the moment, it would be a waste to have them.  (I know - then what business do I have gambling?  My conscience has already addressed the issue, thank you.)  Went to Tina's house, grabbed her husband (she'd cooled off) and went out for a bite to eat.

We'd left Robin's car at the store.  When Tina dropped us off to get it, a co-worker came out and said, "Robin, your mother called looking for you."

I started chanting, "You're gonna be in trouble!  You're gonna be in trouble!"

It was dusk.  I'd been gone since 9.  Robin had been gone since 7.  When we approached our driveway, I saw a piece of crap car and wondered who was at our house.  I'd forgotten Iris and Joe's car was in the shop.  We pulled in and Joe came walking down the driveway, arms in the air, face all contorted, SCREAMING AT US.

"VHERE YOU BEEN ALL DAY?  YOUR MOTHER IS SICK VITH WORRY.  VHY YOU NOT CALL YOUR MOTHER?"

Then Iris began yelling, "You can't call your mother?  I have been worried sick.  What is the matter with you girls?  And you left the dogs all day?  There are no lights on.  I have nothing more to say to you."

Yeah, right.

Robin yelled back that she'd been working all day and then went out for a bite.  Then she pulled the "I'm effing 50 years old.  Get over it."

Iris and Joe kept on and on.  I stayed in the car and had to to turn my head.  I literally had to press my lips togther hard to not laugh.  Thank God it was now dark. 

This went on for a good 20 minutes.  Talk about over reacting.  I understand that when you establish a routine and there is a break in that routine, there can be reason for concern.  I call my own mother every single morning. If I don't, the police will be knocking on my door.  But Iris and Joe (especially Iris) took this way too far.  She thought we had gone hiking and slipped on a rock and fell down a waterfall and died.  Seriously, that is what she envisioned. 

They finally tried to leave in a huff and Joe couldn't get the piece of crap car (borrowed from a neighbor) in reverse.  So their grand exit wasn't so grand.  Again, stiffling laughter.

Came inside and listened to the eight messages.  Six from them, two from my own mother, whom Iris had called three times.

I told Robin to give them time to cool down, then call her mother.  She did and Iris refused to talk to her.  Two hours later, after Robin went to bed, I called and Iris answered.

"I'm sorry for the mishegas."

She was cold as ice but did thank me and said "I love you".

In the middle of the screaming, Joe said to Robin, "Sveetie?  Can you take me to get my car in the morning?"

Why would his car be ready at 9:00 in the morning?  Robin took him there and of course they hadn't even looked at it yet.  So she took him back home.  The minute she got home, he called.  She had to go get him to take him back to sign something.

Asked her if she spoke to her mother when she was over there.  No.  Iris told Joe to get dressed and get out of the bedroom.  Told him she didn't want to talk to him or anyone else today, and locked herself in her bedroom. 

I personally think we should call them every 15 minutes today, say, "I'm alive" and hang up.

Iris and Robin have gone for months with the silent treatment.  Wonder how long this  round will last?

Oy.

No comments: