Thursday, October 14, 2010

If you're a shirt tucker, quit reading. You won't get it.

The good news is, I got a job! 

The bad news is, I will be forced to wear khaki pants and a navy blue polo...tucked in.

I will be working at Harris Teeter, which is an upscale grocery store. I interviewed with Delores, my soon to be boss, last week. I really really like her. Very down to earth, smiles a lot, and just seems like a very nice person. So I felt comfortable asking her the obvious...."Do the shirts HAVE to be tucked in?". She laughed it off, but the answer was "Yes, it's more professional."

Great. I have never tucked in my shirt. Wait. I take that back. In high school, I wore a lot of turtle necks with sweaters over them. I tucked the turtle necks.

Not sure when I will officially start, but I go for paperwork tomorrow. They provide the shirts and I'm gonna ask for the biggest one they have. Figured the bigger, the better. Maybe I can blouse it out. My mom, to whom I have whined about this problem everyday for the past week, said if I get it too big, it won't fit my shoulders properly. I don't care.

There is a possible loophole, however. It's getting to be chilly out and Delores said if we get cold, we can wear a jacket or something. That's it! I'm usually not cold, but I'll fake it. I may be hot. I may be sweaty. I may drop items outta my clammy hands, but my fat will be covered.

I really am obsessing over this. When I figured I got the job last week, I got my nails back on. She told me in the first interview that I'd go for a drug test, and providing I'd pass, she'd put me to work. No worries there, so I figured I'd treat myself to the nails. Yesterday when I officially was offered the job, Robin encouraged me to tan. Without having my arm twisted, I went. The tanning salon is also a hair salon. I deliberated. I rationalized. I justified. Backing up a sec, when we first moved to NC, I had the same hair I've had for 100 years...heavy highlights. But when we got up here, I was due for a root job. Spending lots of money on highlights in Miami, I decided to just dye my hair back to it's kinda natural color. I figured once I got a job, I'd get highlights again. Should I have waited to get not just a job, but how about a paycheck? Probably. Did I? No. I figured if the jacket over the tucked in shirt doesn't work out, at least my hair will look good, I'll have nice nails, and I'll be tan. Plus, to have my hair done in NC is exactly 1/4 of the cost it was in Miami.

Is working in a grocery store what I thought I'd be doing at 45 years old? Not exactly. But I am thankful to have found something. And it's a really good company. I'll be part time and will get benefits after 90 days, including a 401K! That's amazing. And I have always said that my "7-11" job during summers in college was my favorite job I ever had. So who knows?

No comments: