Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Past two weeks

The past two weeks have flown by.  (Speaking of flying, I am now flying solo on my register.)  My mom and Kyle (brother) came to visit last Monday and left on Saturday.  I had taken that time off in advance, so we had some good quality time.  I was working when they arrrived in town, so Robin, being the gracious daughter in law that she is, entertained them until I got off....by taking them gambling.

Monday night I had prepared chicken and dumplings, so that was quick and easy and a good dinner after their eight hour trip.  On Tuesday we showed them around H'ville a little bit.  Also gambled a little bit and lost a little bit.  I will honestly be happy when these seedy gambling shacks close down in December.  I can only handle one addiction at a time.  Wednesday we went to a huge flea market in Pickens, SC.  Got lost on the way home.  Every time we thought we were on the right track, we passed the same damn waterfall.  The first time was good.  Got out of the car and took some pictures.  But the fourth time we passed it it was more like, "Oh shit".  Finally found a convenience store.  There was a lady outside holding a stick of some sort and Kyle shouted, "Ask her!  She's got a stick!".  Not sure why, but that made us all laugh hysterically.  It's a total 'you had to be there moment'.  Wednesday night we went to the dive bar (with excellent food, BTW) for dinner.  Iris and Joe treated.

Thursday was our Thanksgiving dinner.  It was perfect, even with 13 people.  The food was great and everyone brought awesome sides.  We decorated the tables very festively.   It was going just as planned.  Robin made a nice toast to our families and new friends.  Then we sat down to eat and my friend, Wally the Wackadoodle, who was seated next to me, took a couple of bites and had to excuse himself.  He went outside for fresh air, came back in and announced that he had to go home.  Not sure what made him sick.  Something he ate, or being seated next to me.  He now thinks I'm mad at him for ruining Thanksgiving.  He reads this blog.  So, Wally, if you're reading this, thanks a lot for ruining my Thanksgiving.  Just kidding.  You don't have to avoid me any more.  Glad you're feeling better.

Then there's Friday.  Robin had to work.  I took Mom and Kyle to Asheville.  Ate at my new favorite restaurant, "The Mellow Mushroom".  I wondered what to do to kill time until Robin got off work at 4:30.  I decided to take them home the scenic route.  Two and a half hours later, we were very very lost high in the mountains.  At first it was a little cute.  Then it turned not so cute.  We crossed county lines, and being new to the area, I had NO idea where we were.  Then Kyle had to announce how many miles we had til we ran out of gas.  At first it was 60 something.  Higher and higher we went.  We made up a country song about no guardrails, no gas, just guts and God.  Finally we saw a sign that said "Asheville".  We made it to a gas station with nine miles left.  Robin beat us home that day.

They left on Saturday and I was sad.  Still am.

On the work front, I find humor in something every day.  Yesterday an Asian woman came through my line.  Bok choy, tofu, snap peas, soy sauce...wonder what she'll make.  THEN she had about 30 cans of cat food in her cart.  I am always leary of Chinese food and this didn't help.

No comments: