Sunday, November 21, 2010

Got called into the manager's office last night.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I like to consider the physical part of my job as a fringe benefit.  (BTW, down 13 pounds as I type!!!)  I've always been a good cardio-er, but have never liked lifting weights and refuse to do so.  I am taking this opportunity to do so...lifting turkeys, gallons of milk, cases of soda isn't so bad.

12 packs of soda are always on sale.  They rotate between Coke and Pepsi products.  The sale is buy two get three free.  It's a good deal and about one out of every three customers buy five 12 packs of soda.  That's a lot of soda I'm lifting.  People tend to put it on the bottom rack of the cart.  I was told early on to use the hand scanner for things like that.

I don't like to.

First of all, by the time you get the cases turned around to where you can scan it, you  may have well have lifted the damn thing to the real scanner.

Secondly, I'm working out lifting all the soda.

Delores was staring at me last night, waiting for me to finish with a customer.  When I was done she came up to me and said, "Miss Kim?  I have noticed that you aren't using the hand scanner.  Do you know why we want you to use the hand scanner?"

"Uh?  To prevent injuries?"

"Yes, ma'am.  Now can I get a commitment from you to use the hand scanner from now on?"

"Yeah."

I finished out my shift and overheard the manager say, "I need to see Kim in my office when she's done."

CRAP.

I went in there and said, "What'd I do?".  He was very nice and told me I hadn't done anything wrong.  He said that Harris Teeter is really focusing on employee safety.  All the employees have to sign a "Commitment to Safety" letter.  I signed mine.

Then he went on to explain workers' compensation.  How reducing on the job injuries saves the company tons of money, means more money in our own profit sharing...stuff like that.  He went on and on and on.

I just nodded.  Then he did tell me how well I'm doing.  Said that I seem to require a lot less assistance than the other new hires, and he's not the only one who noticed.  Yay for me.

I told him I appreciated hearing that since this is my first cashiering job.

"Oh really?!  Well, you're doing a great job!!   What'd you do before?"

"I was a workers' comp adjuster for about 20 years."

He turned beet red.

No comments: