Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It's official. My "career" as a cashier is coming to an end.


But hear me out.

It's two days before Thanksgiving.  Not one cart had less than $100.00 worth of groceries in it today.

At the end of my shift...

Them:  "Kim?  Can you turn out your light and come to Customer Service?"

Did as asked.

Them:  "Kim?  Has anyone talked to you about wait time?"

Me to myself in my head:  "Are they going to say something to me about my weight?"

Me to them:  "No."

Them:  "Well, HT has a policy that no customer can be rung up in longer than a minute."

Me:  "Even with a very heavily loaded cart?"

Them:  "Can't take longer than a minute.  It's policy."

Me to myself:  "Where's the effing candid camera?  Am I in a SNL clip?" 

Me to them:  "How is that possible?"

Them:  "We've been watching you.  You're great with the customers.  Very engaging and always smiling.  But your scanning technique needs improvement.

Then they demonstrated a swim like technique.  Fine.

Them:  "You don't need to even look at the item for a UPC code.  Just keep twisting your wrist until it clicks."

I had ALL I could do to bite my tongue.  Being in the world of workers' comp for 100 years, I could still be there talking about how wrong that is on many levels.

I did figure out something that has been timing me longer than it should.  I don't "secure" my register like I should.  All that unsecuredness counts as time. 

My mom is afraid someone from work will read this blog.  No they won't.  There's no time to socialize and make friends. 

All these little crappy things are all gonna just be a chapter in my book one day.  And I won't care who reads it.

1 comment:

Toni said...

Kim,
Are these people for REAL??? WOW it sounds like a scene from "Office Space" Apparently engaging with the customers and being friendly is a thing of the past belonging to us old people.I always remembered you to be fast!!! What do they know??? O.K. So...I guess tomorrow they want you to go in,talk to no one and scan until your wrist falls off. That sounds like a fun and rewarding job to go to. Do I hear carpal tunnel?? Toni