Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday Morning Conversation

I call my mother every single morning.  It hasn't always been this way.  It started when I first moved to Miami and had a long commute to work.  I called her to kill time.  Now it is habit.  If she doesn't hear from me by 9:00, she calls me, frantically, "Is everything OK?"

Saturday is "Kay Day".  She and Nelson leave the house at 8:00 sharp to go garage saling.  All times are sharp with them.  They wake up at 5:55 sharp.  Ocassionally, she'll tell me she slept in.  Until 6:07.  Once I think they slept until 6:21.

I am an early riser too, but with not working, there's no need to set an alarm.  I am usually up around 7:00, give or take.  (I'm not a "sharp" person.)  (Shut up!)

On Saturdays, I call her at home if before 8:00 and on her cell if after 8:00.  Tried the house phone this morning at 7:40.  No answer.  Called the cell.

They answered on the bluetooth.  I hate that thing with a passion.  Asked why they were out so early.  Seabridge, the neighborhood near them, had three sales and they wanted to get there early.

Asked what she bought.  A pair of flip flops for seniors.  They have big letters R and L on them.  Great!  My mom could really use them!  Then she told me she got them for Robin for Christmas.  Even better.

Nelson had kidney stones a few years ago.  As a result, he drinks one gallon of water every day.  Sunday through Friday, my mom doesn't care.  But it infuriates her that he cannot wait until they get home on Saturdays to start with the water.  It obviously makes him have to go to the bathroom a lot and this interferes with her junking. 

So this morning, on the bluetooth, I hear the following:

Nelson:  "I have to go to the bathroom, Kay."

Kay:  "Ah jeez.   Why didn't you tell me?"

Nelson:  "I believe I just did."

Kay:  "Well, you should have told me before we passed the place.  Now I have to turn around and it's very dangerous on A1A."

Nelson:  "I'm sorry Kay, but I can't help it."

Kay:  "I know, I know.  If I'd ever had kidney stones, blah blah blah."

So they pulled into some state park off A1A.  There was sign that you have to pay $5 to get in.

Kay:  "You have to pay to pee, Nelson."

And I chimed in, "Just pee in the bushes."

Nelson:  "I wouldn't pay $5 to take a crap."

Me:  "NIIIIICE."

He got out of the car and I asked my mom if he was peeing in the bushes.  No, he was walking toward and through the gate.

The whole time he was gone, she complained about his having to go to the bathroom so much and how it really "burns me up".

Then they were off again.  They told me how Kyle and his girlfriend and Jason and his girlfriend were first going to a T ball game for Carson (Kyle's son) and then a soccer game game for Kali (Kyle's daughter).   I smiled inside realizing what a smart move it was coming here to NC, rather than where my family is.

I asked if they were going to either game.  Nelson has had many bouts with skin cancer and should not be in the sun.  My mom just had some removed around her ankle. (I do have pictures.  She was kind enough to email me her  cancer pictures, with a nice note attached telling me what I have to look forward to and it will likely be on my face.)  So between Nelson not being able to be in the sun and my mom's recently removed area that is still icky, they decided to skip the grandchildren's events.  Good call, in my opinion.

I tried to hang up a few times.  That is often easier said than done.  "Can I go now?"  "MAY you go now?"  "Yes, I may go now." Which in itself led to another conversation.    The only sure way to hang up quickly is when she spots a sale.  I was playing online while talking to them and saw where today you can buy one/get one free subs at "Subway".  I was right in the middle of telling them that when I got a, "Kim?  I gotta go.  I love.  Bye."

Now I'm sitting here wondering what other Christmas finds she found this morning. 

No comments: