Wednesday, April 6, 2011

If we have to be unemployed...

Being unemployed in the springtime in Western NC isn't awful. Every day new flowers pop up. Literally. It's not like I'm bragging because we have nothing to do with it. The previous owners of this house must have spent A LOT of time planting. We don't know what to expect and each day it's something new. The Rose of Sharon bushes, of which we have maybe 30 (just asked Robin how many she thinks we have - she said 12 - she has no idea what I'm talking about - probably thinks I asked how many dogs we have), have little green sprouts on them. Cannot wait til they're in full bloom.

And the temperature. The temperature is to die for. TO DIE FOR!!! Around 70 right now and it will cool down into the upper 40's tonight. Love it!

Are we stressed out about not working? Of course we are. But we are both doing everything we can think of to find employment. In the meantime, we wait. In the backyard. With the heathens. In the bright sunshine. With the 70ish temperatures.

Last week, Robin signed up with a temporary agency. Has had one interview with a local big company and goes back for a second interview tomorrow. We decided I should sign up with the temp place too. Robin, being a very fast typist, completed the online application for me. I had to take four tests, three of which I was OK with. To pass typing, you had to type at least 40 words per minute. I typed 40 words. Exactly 40 words. The other two tests were ah-ight. I used to consider myself a computer person, but I now know that I so am not. I thought I knew Microsoft Office. I can figure stuff out, but I don't know it know it. Then there was Excel. I know nothing about Excel. So Robin came over to "help me". She basically pushed me out of the way and took over. Took the test for me and got 100%. Great. For the past two days I have been in fear of landing a job and them plopping me down somewhere and giving me assignments that I wouldn't know where to begin. Robin assured me it'd be OK.

I thought about not going to the appointment, but then I googled Breugger's and found out that there was one down the street from the agency. I am freaking dying for a good bagel. A good, old fashioned, authentic, dense, heavy as a brick, as big as my head, Jewish bagel. Whined about this on Facebook recently and was informed that Breugger's has good ones.

So I went to the temp agency today.

Robin, who completed my application, told them I'd be willing to drive 50 miles for a job. Excuse me? Uh? No. First of all, does she have any idea how much gas costs? And B) I have a gas guzzling 10 year old, almost 100,000 miles on it SUV. (I love you, Car). (Damage control). I'd be more comfortable staying a little closer to home. Like Harris Teeter. It was (still is actually) less than one mile away.

While there, I figured I would make the most out of the time I had with the temp lady. Girl. She was roughly 15 years old. Told her my passion is writing...I love animals...I'm very good with people (shut up - if I'm being paid for it, I'm very good with people)...I worked in customer service with Kodak...I was a paralegal...I'm very familiar with medical terminology...I worked in the insurance industry for 15 years...I'd love to try the other side and work in Risk Management...blah blah blah.

She was taking notes the whole time, nodding her head, looking like she was full of thought.

I began to get excited! What if she finds me the perfect job? She mentioned brain storming and thinking outside the box.

When I finished talking about myself, she sat there for a second, tapping her pen. "Lemme think. Lemme think".

OMG! This was not a colossal waste of time afterall. This little Katy girl is gonna find me a perfect job!!!

"Are you familiar with Sosawatchee?" Or something like that.

"No".

"Well, it's about 25 miles west of Asheville" (translated = 50 miles from home)"and they have a missile manufacturer there. Maybe I can find you something there."

Greaaaaaaaat. We exchanged pleasantries and I headed for Bruegger's, the whole time thinking how I wasted my morning to be told that maybe, if I'm lucky, I can work in a missile plant 50 miles away.

At least there was Breugger's.

Or was there?

Picked out six bagels and went to pay. Robin had taken my debit card (AGAIN) and I had no cash.

What a @#$%^%$ waste of a morning afterall.

No comments: