Monday, November 10, 2008

BAKED SPAGHETTI CARBONERA

I made this yesterday and it's my new favorite meal...It's a Weight Watchers recipe that I altered. Instead of using an 8 oz box of whole wheat spaghetti, I used the whole box, which is something like 13.5 oz. I then followed the recipe, timings everything by 1.5. Except for the turkey bacon. The original recipe called for 4 slices, 1.5 would be 6 slices, butIusedthewholepackage. (What? It's turkey bacon.)

Oh, and I used a 13 x 9 casserole dish.

Oh yeah, and I added about a half a cup (or so) of reduced fat Parmesan cheese. (Have you met me? My name is Kim. I don't make anything that doesn't involve extra cheese. Or hot sauce).

Oh yeah, I added a dash (or so) of hot sauce.


Here's the original --

Ingredients:

8 oz uncooked whole-wheat spaghetti (do it my way)
4 slice(s) uncooked turkey bacon, diced (do it my way)
2 medium leek(s), chopped (white parts only) (x 1.5)
3 medium garlic clove(s), minced (x 1.5)
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly chopped
1 1/4 cup(s) fat-free skim milk (x 1.5)
1 cup(s) fat-free egg substitute (x 1.5)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese (I mixed mine in with eggs & milk)


Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375ºF.


Cook spaghetti according to package directions (without added oil); drain and transfer to a 9-inch, deep-dish pie plate. (or 13 x 9 dish)


Meanwhile, cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add leeks and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Stir in oregano, salt and pepper; cook 1 minute. Spoon bacon mixture evenly over spaghetti in pie plate.


In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, egg substitute, garlic powder and onion powder; pour over spaghetti mixture and sprinkle with cheese.


Place pie plate on a baking sheet and bake until filling is set and top is golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly before slicing into 6 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving. (mine made 8, which, I know, shoulda made 9 - who's counting?)

2 comments:

pawlawgirl said...

I am the guniea pig for all of Kims new weight watcher meals - lucky me. But, i have to say that this meal was delish. Makes for good leftovers, too. I wonder what Kim will come up with to cook today - all i know for sure is that it will involve cheese, lots of cheese, and be spicy as hell.

Unknown said...

Today is cheesy chicken and dumplings. Joke. Or iiiizzz it?