Sunday, May 8, 2011

This is going to be a bad bad day.

Today is Mother's Day.  I'm too far from my mom to spend the day with her.  :(  But at least she got her present on time.

We asked Iris how she'd like to spend Mother's Day.  Robin leaves tomorrow for a business trip and has stuff to do.  We suggested that we celebrate Mother's Day on Saturday by taking her junking and out to lunch, which is exactly what we did.  Joe came too and was his usual self.  I have nightmares of his boney old man finger pointing in the direction that we need to go. Let me rephrase...the direction that he thinks we need to go.   We have lived here long enough to know our way around.  Yesterday he insisted Robin take a left when she needed to take a right.  I finally chimed in, not very sweetly, "It's a one way street, JOE."  Silence.  Finger went down and he sulked a second.  Until the next turn.  I'm not exaggerating.  He told her which way to go coming out of their driveway. 

Upon getting ready yesterday morning, I discovered that we did not have hot water.  In our usual fashion, Robin and I decided to ignore it and it'd probably be on later.  Well, it wasn't.  Joe is a former plumber and so is our very nice next door neighbor.  The neighbor (Bill) came over and found that the water heater was leaking and shorted out and the house could have caught on fire.  That's nice.  He told us what needs to be done and he is planning on doing it today after church.  Perfect.

Robin called Iris last night to tell her what's going on.  Five minutes later, Joe, who knows EVERYTHING, called for Bill's number.  Oh boy.

They spoke and have a huge difference of opinion. Bill says our tank is 45 gallons.  Joe says no way.  Bill says we need a tall tank because of the connections.  Joe says no way.  Bill says it takes a long time to drain it.  Joe says no way.

So Iris and Joe are on their way over now to start draining the thing.  This is going to be an all day process.  Robin just got off the phone with Joe.  He says he knows what to do and that Bill is wrong and stupid.  Joe is 86 and Bill is 66.  We just got done warning Bill about Joe.  He figured him out by last night's phonecall.

I have anti-anxiety pills.  Supposed to take one in the morning and one at night.  Being the doctor that I am, I decided that I only need a half a pill in the morning and none at night.  Today is an obvious exception.  Took a whole one.  And since they will certainly be here all day, I am prepared to take another whole one tonight.  Maybe I'll take both of them now and just pass out for the day.

Stay tuned........

2 comments:

Charlene said...

I dunno. I think this would be a good time to call a professional repair guy or two.

Brian said...

anxiety pills are no good but if ya need them ya need them.

http://familyindirenedofassistance.blogspot.com/