Monday, May 16, 2011

I've been celebrating my new job as any happy new hire at a dream job would.

I spent the afternoon with Joe.  At Home Depot.  Just he and I.

He decided he wanted to redo the floor in their guestroom.  Tear up the carpet and put down hard wood floors.  Iris asked if I could drive him because I have an SUV.  This was at around 9:00 this morning.  Told her of course, but I needed to wait to hear about this job.  Heard about the job at around 11:00 and Robin was coming home for lunch at noon.  Iris was a little miffed that I didn't get over there until 1ish, but she got over it.

Joe had the flooring picked out and all I had to do was drive him.  Yeah right.  I had to schlep the seven boxes of flooring which weighed more than a 50 pound bag of dog food that I struggle with.  Then, because the back door of my car is broken, had to ask a stranger who's more than three feet tall to hold it open while I loaded the car.  In the middle of loading, Joe had a fit that one of my tires was low on air.  "Look at this!  Look at this, Keemy.  Very dangerous."

While daydreaming of ways to kill Robin on the way home, all of a sudden Joe screamed, "Pull in here!  Pull in here!"  It was a tire place and sure enough, my one tire was low.  Joe was very proud of himself for saving the day.

Got to their house and of course, I had to carry everything in.  Glared at Iris and snapped, "I'm not a boy."  She ever so wisely told me to, "Be careful."  Robin happened to call Iris when I was there.  She asked to speak with me, but Iris told her it wasn't a good time and I probably wouldn't have anything nice to say to her anyway.  As I carried floor bundle number six through the house, I told Iris to tell Robin that I'd deal with her later. 

Next stop grocery store, then Robin's job.  She's always asking me to come visit her and today was as good a day as any.  She wanted some type of taco kit for dinner.  It was on the top shelf, but way far back and I couldn't reach it.  Screw it.  Mexican food is Mexican food and she'll be happy with plain tacos.

She turned white as a ghost when I surprised her in her office.  First words outta her mouth were "I love you".  Then she asked if I 'd gotten what she wanted for dinner.  She couldn't believe that I hadn't gotten it because I couldn't reach it.  Maybe if I had some feeling left in my arms, I could have.

No comments: