Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A few weekends ago we went garage saling with Iris and Joe.  Iris has toyed with the idea of getting a second car here in NC.  They have one, but it's Joe's Jaguar, and she flatly refuses to drive it.  He would go absolutely crazy if she came home with a scratch on it.   For some reason, she has always liked PT Cruisers.  There was one at a garage sale and it happened to be for sale.  They were told the asking price and when I looked up the Kelley Blue Book value, it was actually a very reasonable price.  So Joe had it checked out and they wound up buying it.

They didn't tell us about the car.  When I went over there the other day to schlep Joe's wood, wait that didn't come out right...when I went over there the other day to help Joe with the flooring, the car was in the driveway.  They were waiting for me and to see my reaction.  I, of course, played it up, like, "Oh my GOD!!!   You got the car!!  It looks great!  Did you get it detailed?"  I gave them the reaction they wanted.  Enthusiasm. 

They asked me not to tell Robin so she, too, could be surprised.  I told them I wouldn't say anything, but I had my fingers crossed.  I know Robin all too well and I know that she couldn't possibly care less about the car.  Last night her mother called and invited us for lunch today.  I didn't feel like going but I told Robin that she should.  She didn't want to.  Something about hating her mother's dried out coldcuts.  Then I did the right thing.  I told her they had something that she doesn't know about.  Made her guess.  Told her it was something that they'd seen at the garage sale.  She's a lousy guesser and I finally told her that it's something not in the house, but in the driveway.  She finally guessed it and said very lovingly, "What do I care?"

Robin should be arriving at their house right now.  They'll be in the driveway awaiting her arrival and reaction.  I literally made her practise her reaction.  Knowing her, she'll pull in and walk right by it pretending not to notice.  That would actually be pretty funny.

Iris called me at 9:00 to remind me of lunch, but understood that if my sinus infection doesn't get better, I should stay home.  Huh?  Robin, being the good partner that she is, lied and told her mother that I wouldn't be going  because I didn't feel well.  That's great, but next time, I'd like to be in on the lie.  Then she started in about getting my oil changed.  The other day I asked Joe where he takes his car for an oil change.  He hasn't yet.  I merely mentioned that Robin and I both need oil changes.  He called that night and said that he wants to pay for our oil changes to show his appreciation for me helping him.  Very sweet. 

This morning Iris said, "You need to figure out where to get your oil changed." 

I said, "There's a Jiffy Lube right up the street."

"Well are they any good?

"I assume so.  It's Jiffy Lube."

"Well how do you know they're good?"

"IT'S JIFFY LUBE."

"Well, you need to call around.  The prices vary considerably.  And don't let them talk you into anything else.  You don't need a boob job."

Huh?

So I'll pull a Robin and make up names and prices of oil change places and make Jiffy Lube the winner.

Robin says the same thing about my mother and me whenever we spend time with her, but hanging around Iris gives me a lot of insight as to how Robin's mind work.  Very scarey.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wish I could argue with what Kim has written about my folks, but, its all true....painfully true.