Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Just my opinion.

I was a juror once and I found it to be very interesting.  The experience really taught me the true meaning of "beyond a reasonable doubt". 

Those words went through my mind throughout the Casey Anthony trial.  I couldn't help but wonder if the prosecution proved that she was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  Then, in closing arguments, Jeff Ashton painted a vivid picture of how Casey could have and would have killed her daughter.  The defense did a good job with what they had to work with, but I thought the prosecution excelled. 

Still, the words "reasonable doubt" resounded.  That is until Linda Drane Burdick said something that struck me.  It was her "greatest concern" that common sense would not prevail.  In my mind, the two words "common sense" took the lead ahead of "reasonable doubt".  Then I was convinced that Casey would have been found guilty of something.    Something other than lying to the police.  Common sense.  I think that the way Jeff Ashton described it is the way it happened.  Intentionally or not.  Common sense would surely get her convicted of some type of horrible crime, right?

Guess not.  

After O.J. Simpson, the Casey Anthony verdict really shouldn't be shocking news to anyone.  Common sense would tell you that, right?

Guess not.



No comments: