Sunday, July 31, 2011

DIY


Robin has been on a "do it yourself" kick.  A few weeks ago, it was the kitty litter, ginger ale and laundry detergent.  Then came the homemade dulcimer.   When I saw the printed out "how to make pickles" instructions on the table, I knew what was next.

Yesterday we went to a farmers' market.  I got what I wanted and she got what she wanted.  Didn't really pay attention.  She put it all away when we got home, so I didn't know what she had picked up. 

My mom, brother and niece are on their way here for a few days.  Very excited!  My brother has a special way of communicating, usually by yelling.  His daughter is 15 and acts exactly like him.  Just hung up with my mom and they (brother and niece) were screaming at each other over where his toothbrush was.  This is gonna be fun.  Anywho ~ sent Robin to the store this morning.  This was when she announced that she is going to make homemade pickles. 

She stuck with the list I'd given her and when she got home, she yelled a four letter expletive beginning with F .  "I forgot my pickling spices."  And off she went.

She came back and started doing her thing.  She sterilized her canning jars, made the pickle mix, boiled some stuff and began chopping what she thought was a cucumber that she'd gotten yesterday. 

Too bad it was a zuchinni.

Again with the "F" and off she went.  This time for cucumbers.
 

PS:  As I was typing this, my mom called from the road.  "Wild Thing" by Funky Cold Medina was blasting in the background and my brother and niece were fighting over "Cool Ranch Doritos".  Gonna be a looooong drive for my mother.  She doesn't usually drink, but I have a feeling that somebody's gonna need a cocktail when she gets here. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your post - you have a very good writing style. :-)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!!!