Friday, July 29, 2011

I've been in the mountains too long.

We moved up here one year ago this week.  I have been a good sport through the corn maze, the endless trips to the cider mill, the freezing temperatures in the winter, Robin's broken leg, the Coon Dog festival, and let's not forget my employment fiascos. Don't even get me started on Iris and Joe.

But I think it's time to GO.

I am not employed right now (duh) and naturally money is tight.  We're managing, but there's not a lot of wiggle room.

I overheard Robin tell one of our friends a few weeks ago that she was going to buy a dulcimer.  Didn't know what she was talking about and didn't really care.  Figured she was BS'ing. 

Then it came up again.  I googled it and thought she'd officially lost her mind.  Why in the HELL would she want one of these?  Her mother is always telling me what a talent she is on the piano, but have I ever heard her play?  No.  She refuses.

Come to find out, Robin has been in search of a hobby.  I guess she's read every book in the H'ville library and now wishes to express her musical side.  When we accidentally wound up at a store called "Song of the Wood" last weekend, I went BAAAA-listic. 

She assured me that her mother was going to reimburse her because she wanted her to have a hobby so she'd stay off the streets. Didn't believe her and was pissed all weekend. Iris did come through on Monday, but I didn't know she would and was stressed out all weekend. Anywho, she wasn't just buying this totally unnecessary and frivalous mountain instrument, she was buying a KIT! She has been working on the thing all week. My dining room looks like my grandfather's old work shop. By the way, we happen to have a very nice work bench IN THE GARAGE.
She's almost done with it and now the real joy shall begin...Robin teaching herself to play. In case she really does have musical talent, I gingerly asked the sales lady at "Song of the Wood", "If she can play the piano, will that help her learn this quickly?". Got a quick, "No".

So, yeah, it may be time for me to hit the road. Or Robin.

No comments: