Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Home Sweet Home!

We spent a few days at Ormond by the Sea, FL visiting my folks and are now safely and soundly back home in the mountains.  (That feels very odd to say.  It also felt odd to go north on I-95 rather than south when we left.)  We decided to visit now because sooner or later we are bound to be employed, and it will be a long time before we can travel 500 miles again.  Plus, most of the jobs for which we're applying are online, so we didn't feel (too) guilty going. 

Had a few great days hanging out with family and seeing old friends.  Spent lots of time at the beach (duh) and junking with the peeps.   Robin's already put all of our treasures out and about in their new mountain home.  Everything seems to be adapting to the altitude well.

My mother is totally obsessed with decorating for Christmas and cannot refuse a good bargain.  Nelson has forbidden her to buy any more Santas.  Without him knowing (he sat this particular sale out) she bought a boxload of Santa's who sang and danced.  She hid them under other things that we'd gotten and told us we'd have to help her smuggle them into the house so he wouldn't see.  We assumed they were battery operated.  They were motion controlled.  Every time we hit a bump while driving, they all began singing.  At first it was hilarious, but after a half an hour of a bunch of mental singing Santa's, Robin wanted her to pull over so she could stomp on Santas' little necks.  I'm pretty sure Nelson wanted to snap Kay's little neck.   

My parents had obligations while we were there.  Very serious ~ cannot be broken ~ obligations.  "Lunch Bunch" with the neighbors.  Friday night dinner with the gang.  A surprise birthday party for a friend.  They insisted on feeding us before they went out.  I gently reminded them that, um, Robin is 50 and I will soon be 30-16, and we do know our way around a kitchen.  No can do.  So on Thursday AFTERNOON, around 4:30, we sat there eating steaks that Nelson had made.  Didn't know if I felt like I was 8 (eating dinner before the parents go out for dinner) or 80 (eating dinner at 4:30).   Great steak, BTW, thanks Nelson!

My mom has declared Saturdays "Kay Day".  This is a day in which Kay doesn't do anything Kay doesn't want to do.  It usually means garage saling, lunch out and take out for dinner.  Not sure how she pulled it off, but it seems to me, last Friday AND Saturday were Kay Days.  It's OK though.  I did manage some Kim Time in there.  I do enjoy junking a lot, but also feel very anxious when it's beautiful out and I should be on the beach.  She promised me to be home by noon both days.  Never made it to the beach on Friday and got there around 2:00 on Saturday.  It was OK.  Wouldn't trade seeing David and Sandy and Rudy for two more hours on the beach.

On Saturday afternoon, Janice and Shelly drove down from Jacksonville.  They got a room down the street, met us at the beach and came back to my mom's for a cookout.  We bored Robin to death, drinking (she doesn't drink) and reminiscing about old times.   My mom was a good sport and insisted on driving the girls to their hotel.  I picked them up on Sunday, brought them to their car, and they slithered out of town at 8:00 a.m.  Shelly had a first date on Sunday that I am still waiting to hear about.

Sunday was Kyle's birthday.  38 years old.  I remember vividly the day he was born.  Grampa Rooty Toot picked me up at the Methodist Church after my tap dancing class.  Told me I had a little brother. I asked what was for dinner.  Just kidding, Kyle.  I love you.  Even though you don't read my blog.

Family friend, Cathy, brought over brunch and a present for Kyle on Sunday.  Also gave him a scratch off.  He won $500.00 on his birthday!!!  We were so happy for him!  AND he has a new gal pal in his life who we really like a lot.  Kyle's is a good place right now.

Spent quality time with Jason and Chelsea.  Chelsea's a great fit for Jason and fits in well with this crazy family.  Not saying she's crazy.  Just fits well with crazy.  She's adorable and they're a really cute couple.

The entire family, including the girlfriends and Kyle's daughter, went out for dinner on Kyle's birthday.  That hasn't happened in forever.  It was well worth the extra day to make him feel so special.

We took Brady (yellow lab) with us because he and his cousin, Buddah, get along so well.  Brady takes on the alpha role which is very interesting because around here, he's low man on the totem pole. 

Unbeknownst to me, Robin and Iris were very concerned that taking me to FL might be a big mistake.  That I would become homesick and not want to leave.  It is true that I do worship the sun and love the beach more than words can describe, but I feel good having had my fix.  A few days every so often is really all I need.  Plus it's spring time here and that's pretty special too.  Half of our front yard is covered in pink and purple flowers that we had nothing to do with and it's really gorgeous.

I do miss the beach sometimes but all I have to do is remind myself that I now enjoy all four seasons.  I really appreciate that.  And these mountains aren't too bad on the eyes either.



 


No comments: