Thursday, January 20, 2011

We really tore it up last night!!!!

A big part of the reason we wound up in North Carolina rather than north Florida (where my peeps are) is because Iris and Joe had a friend who was very well connected with the writing field up here. When we were getting ready to move, Iris had coordinated an interview/meeting for this man and me.


Then his health took a turn for the worst. He recently passed away.

In the meantime, I have been told by someone that my writing reminds her of David Sedaris. I hold this person's opinions in the highest regard and that has stuck with me. Out of the clear blue sky yesterday, Robin told me that I really should get one of David Sedaris' books and maybe that would inspire me. I agreed.

(This is kinda choppy, but keep reading.)

The man who recently died had a care giver at the end who is one of our good friends. He had recently lost his wife and son and left behind an estranged niece. The lawyer who handled his affairs at the end has a bitch on wheels wife. We think she has robbed the estate blind. Lots of antiques and jewelry are missing. And who knows what else. The lawyer's wife asked our friend to clean the house and bring her the important papers. Our friend told her she knew where all the papers were, in the Louis Vuitton satchel. The lawyer's wife lit up and she said to her husband, "Louis Vuitton satchel?! I never saw a Louis Vuitton satchel!!! Did you ever see a Louis Vuittin satchel?"

Our friend stopped by our house last night on her way to deliver the Louis Vuitton satchel filled with the paperwork. Robin and I tried to convince her that the satchel should not go to the attorney's wife. If anything, it should go to the niece, who arrives today. Better yet, she (our friend) should keep it. The bitchy wife has stolen enough and it's just not right. Our friend refused. Said she already told the wife about it and she is waiting for it.

Then I got an idea.

I accidently took, I mean dropped, the papers out of it. Then it accidently fell to the floor. Then my good boy, I mean ill behaved, Brady had some of the best raw hide he's ever had!!!!!

THEN...

After we stopped laughing and praising Brady...

I blew dry the dog slobber and went to put the papers back. There was a little yellow sticky in the bottom of the bag and I pulled it out to look at it.

It said "David Sedaris".

Goose friggen bumps then and goose friggen bumps as I type.

BTW - I updated my query letter to include my blog and sent off a different chapter yesterday to a few potential agents. In the midst of all of the above, I got the friendliest rejection letter yet. She said she took a peek at my "very funny" blog, then unfortunately blah blah blah. I was flattered nonetheless.

No comments: