Monday, January 10, 2011

Snowed in!

We've had about 8 inches and it's still snowing.  Predictions indicate it will continue through tomorrow.  I don't work until Wednesday and I think they'll have to come get me.

And, yes.  That's a picture of Maxx, my step-dog.  You won't see too many pictures of Maxx around here because, quite frankly, we do not get along.  But he does look cute hopping through the snow.   

HT had boneless/skinless chicken breasts on sale, buy one, get TWO free.  I kept meaning to get some, but by the end of my shifts this past week, I was too tired to buy them.  They are, afterall, all the way back in the meat department.  Plus, I knew that the sale will continue through tomorrow.  The store has been  horrendously busy due the weather forecast toward the end of last week and over the weekend.  I got lots of extra hours in, which is good.  BTW - I have found the secret to successful weight loss without trying.  It's called getting a job at Harris Teeter.  Officially down 16 pounds as of today.

I had worked eight hour days four days in a row (exhausting) and looked forward to my five hour day yesterday, 4:00 - 9:00.  Got up and Robin wanted to get out of the house.  Went out for breakfast, then went to get our own supplies at Harris Teeter.  Got there around 11.  I warned Robin that we'd have to linger around til noon so I could get some wine for the snow storm.  It's amazing this state even allows the sale of beer and wine at all on Sunday.  The liquor stores are closed.  Strike that.  The liquor store is closed.

We strolled up and down the isles and it was 11:45.  15 minutes to go.  One of the managers (I like every single person I work with - it's so odd) saw me and said, "Hey!  We just tried calling you."

I asked why.

Her: "Aren't you supposed to work today?"

Me:  "Yeah.  4 til 9."

And we kept walking.  Well.  I walked.  Robin drove.

I was picking up stuff and looking at it and Robin, not very nicely, said, "Uh?  Doncha think you should check about your schedule?"

Me:  "I guess, but I know I work 4-9."

Checked with another manager at the front desk.  Sure enough.  Was supposed to be there at 11:00.  Made apologies for going senile, raced home and was back there at 12:00.  I felt flustered all day.

That means I couldn't get my wine.  Until later.  Then it fell out of my car when I got home and broke in the driveway.  Yay for me.

Speaking of yay for me.  Iris has called her at least ten times today.  Take that back.  Robin and Iris have talked on the phone at least ten times today.  Robin does her share of the calling.  The conversation is always the same.  The caller always says, "It's snowing again!!!"  The person called says, "I know it!!  I can't believe it!!!  It's so beautiful!"

Then Iris always has to say, "If you girls get cold, turn up the heat."

What would we do without Iris? 

Back to the chicken.  I did get six packages.  Froze three and have used one and a half today - made chicken fingers and chicken and spinach quesadillas for a late lunch.  Gonna do something with the other one and a half package because chances are, we'll lose power.  Did I mention Robin hates chicken?  She tolerates dark meat and white meat with skin, but she hates boneless/skinless.  Oh well.  She shoulda thought about stocking up on stuff she likes before she broke her leg. 

In between chicken dishes, I tried and tired to get on some coupon websites.  The internet has been on and off all day, so I gave up out of frustration.  I'm going to get so into that.  I felt great spending $50 and saving $60 yesterday, think how I'll feel when I save like the pros! 

As I type this, my Ipod is on.  I've had to change every other song because it upset me in one way or another.  First, "You Are My Sunshine" came on and I had to change it cuz that was Bailey's (my beautiful deceased chocolate lab)  favorite song and I sang it to her as she died in my arms.  Then "Empire State of Mind" came on and I had to change it because the thought going to NYC (which I really wanted to do...pre-poverty) seems like a pipe dream now.  And then "Proud" ("The Biggest Loser" theme song) came on.  We all know why I had to skip that one.

I have a new thing.  I take a piece of paper with my name and number on it to work with me and put it in my pocket.  A more sophisticated person would buy business cards.  I have given out about four or five of them to customers for potential jobs.  There's a risk manager lady who seemed very interested.  Maybe there's hope for NYC afterall.  Lots of attorney related things too.  I hope Robin never goes back to her former job.

Guess I've rambled on long enough.  Besides, it's time to feed the heathens.  Buddy has been barking for 24 minutes.  Starts yelling for his dinner at 4:45 every single day.  They may not be well trained, but I sure am.

No comments: