Wednesday, January 19, 2011

It's a Wonderful Life.

I took Robin to the doctor yesterday for her follow up appointment.  It was supposed to have been last week, but we were snowed in.  We anticipated it being no big deal, just x-rays and a "See you in two weeks".

Wrong.

Because she was in so much pain when she was first casted, the nurse wasn't able to manipulate her foot into the proper position to cast it.  So they had to do that yesterday and it hurt like hell.  I held her hand and then asked the doctor to xray my hand, she squeezed it so tightly.  He ignored me.  Then I asked for at least some good drugs.  Ignored again.  They removed the cast and her leg looked like that of an ape.  Robin asked why it was black.  I informed her it was hair.  The nurse laughed and Robin called her an ass.

She was recasted, first in green, then in pink.  I asked the nurse to make it pink and green stripes.  Got a blank stare.  I wasn't kidding.

She's in a lot of pain today and I was supposed to go to work.  She begged me to stay home with her.  I'm not much of a caller inner, but at this point, I don't really care.  I'm having "issues" at work and am basically on thin ice.  On thin ice at my glamorous cashiering job.  I forgot to give someone their $10 back when they wrote a check and since this was the second time, I'm in trouble.  (Reminder:  I did the same thing right before Thanksgiving and when the lady returned to the store to get her money, she was mugged and beaten to a pulp.)  Nothing like feeling like a dumbass at a crapass job.  Last week I was a wreck - felt humiliated, idiotic, and like a complete loser.  This week I think of it in terms of my life being a dark comedy.

Nothing like being a middle aged college graduate in fear of being fired from a GD grocery store.

Something's gotta give.

The good news is I've lost almost 20 pounds.  And we have discovered couponing and are saving tons of money on groceries.  There's more to it than just clipping them out of the paper.  Have learned a lot from the couponing customers.   Was proud to have spent $78 yesterday and have saved $96.  That's nothing compared to the lady last week who bought $120 worth of groceries for $9.25.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a greatr blog!! You should think about writing!! Everyone loves a quirky love story.

Sooo sorry to hear that Robin is having trouble. Feet are tricky and wish there was better news.

Keep your chin up!! You made me smile today and think about the day we "called in". Not sure if you remember but we were at our lockers and you looked at me and said I really don't want to be here so we just left and went to my house and hung out until school was over. Getting drunk if I recall. Anyway it was a great memory since I would normally have never dared to miss school. I'm not a caller inner either.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the compliment! And yes, I do remember that day. I think we drank whiskey or something with milk.