Saturday, June 25, 2011

So we were wondering what to do today.

It's nice out so the options included going to the lake, going for a hike, hanging in the yard with the dogs, or going to Iris' pool.   We could also go junking.  My mother, being the Casey Anthony trial addict that she is, suggested that we watch that.  We were both in very indecisive moods, so we decided to watch some of the trial while we waited to see if one of us could make a decision.  It wasn't on.  We finally decided to get some groceries.  Got home, put everything away, and still couldn't figure out what to do with our day.

Oh I know!  Let's plan a wedding. 

OURS!

Everyone knows that same sex marriage is now allowed in New York.  Robin and I have always said that when it became legal in our state, we'd do it.  No proposal, no ring.  It's just always been a given.  Just like me going to college.  Never talked discussed it.  It was always just a given. 

Robin has been Facebooky lately and before I knew it, Ingrid and she were instant messaging each other about us getting married in New York.  Ingrid offered to have us use her backyard for the ceremony.  She had an amazing party last year and wants to do another something.  At first I poo-pooed the idea, but then I put some thought into it.  Why not?  I'm from New York.  I was born and raised there.  Went to the same school from K-12 with the same kids.  Except for my mom and Nelson and brothers and niece and nephew, some college friends and some other friends, most of the people I would want to attend my wedding still live up there.

So why not get married up there? 

We are dirt poor and this is not the time to be planning a wedding, but I think we will be able to throw something  together if we give it a year.  Plus (anyone who knows me knows that this is really reason number one) that'll give me a year to lose enough weight to be a fetching bride.

Rather than working on my tan or throwing the ball for Brady, I have been googling wedding dresses all afternoon.  Wow!   That feels so odd to say!  I've considered white, off white, champagne, and now I'm having a pale pink moment. 

I haven't officially asked Ingrid to be my matron of honor (HA!  Talk about an oxymoron) but I assume she knows I assume she will. 

I have always joked about having my wedding catered by Popeye's.  ("Popeye's Fried Chicken" for those who are not fortunate enough to know what it is.  Like the people of Hendersonville.)  It is hands down THE best fried chicken, not only on the planet, but in the entire universe.  Called my mom at around noon.  The Casey Anthony trial was supposed to be on until 12:00.  They weren't home.  What?   Called their cell.  They were out because the judge called a recess.  They went junking instead.  Started talking about the wedding and made my mother miss garage sale after garage sale.  Nelson loved it.  Told them about my Popeye's vision.  Then we got the giggles imagining all my wedding guests going through the drive through placing their chicken orders.  Robin and I would be at the end and pay the bill, of course. 

Neither Robin nor I have been to many weddings, so we have no idea what to do.  We've had several people offer to help us, and believe me, we are going to take everyone up on their offers.  I always wonder why people (brides) get so stressed out.  What's the big deal?  Well, I am not saying I'm stressed out, but I will admit to letting Bodi outside without being on a leash.  She's a fence jumper and I have never ever done that before.  Didn't even realize I'd done it until Robin called me an idiot and yelled, "ARE YOU INSANE?"  (I'm so lucky to be marrying her.  She has me on such a pedestal.)

So when does the pre-wedding, gotta be a skinny bride, weight start flying off?  I wanna make Portia look fat.  My mother offered her grandmother's wedding dress (I'm sure that's hot).   20 inch waist.  Too big.

No comments: