Monday, December 29, 2008

My Latest Obsession


I found this shirt yesterday at TJ Maxx and was so excited. It's a workout shirt with a built in bra in a size 3X! I was so happy I bought all they had, which, unfortunately, was only two. They were $15.00, with a "suggested" retail price of $40.00. Since then, I have dragged Robin to every TJ Maxx, Marshall's and Ross in a 25 mile radius. No luck - this was a one time thing.

But this has got me thinking and now I'm upset. We were at a strip mall in Fort Lauderdale today. We stopped to go to TJ Maxx, but there was also a Sports Authority and an Avenue (large size clothes for women). I don't normally shop at either store, but figured while I was there, I'd pop in to see if either store had my size 3x workout shirt.

Sports Authority had nothing larger than an XL, and that looked really small. It made me mad. Just because you're heavier doesn't mean that you're not fit. I, thank God, have perfect health (other than the touch of alcoholism), and I know it's all do to exercise. So why can't I go into a Sports Authority and buy a 3x shirt? I can actually squeeze my butt in to an XL (in strecthy exercise clothes, that is), so that's usually not a problem.

So as I ranted and raved about Sports Authority discriminating against the fat, we wandered into Avenue. They sell larger clothes, so surely I'd find something there.

Well guess what? The fat lady store doesn't sell work out clothes. That made me even madder than Sports Authority not selling them. That's the fat discriminating against the fit fat. One of their own, only in better shape.

What's a girl supposed to do? It's a catch 22. (Too bad it isn't a size 22).

I think I should start a workout clothing line and call it "Fashion for the Fit Fat".

Oh and BTW - if you happen upon (yes I said happen upon) one of these shirts (Adidas, 3x, $15.00) and would like to pick it up for me, I will happily reimburse you and pay for shipping.

No comments: