Wednesday, December 17, 2008

New to Therapy


I tried going to therapy for the very first time about four years ago. The first experience was not great, to say the least, mostly due to a language barrier. I gave her a second chance, then tried to bow out gracefully. It just wasn't working for me. The therapist then called me repeatedly for days and then her supervisor called me over and over. I felt like I was being a little harassed. It was kind of creepy. Looking back now, maybe they both thought that I really really really needed help. Pfft.

Then I tried again about six months ago. Was making tremendous progress and felt great. If anyone could help me, it was gonna be her. I was getting stronger, things were becoming clearer, layers were peeling off. Until she called me up one night to fire me. She suggested I try someone who specialized in same sex oriented people. Huh? I was fired due to my "alternate life style". WTF?

Stubborn me, here I am again. New therapist/old problem. I google stalked dozens of therapists in my area and landed on her. I called her on the phone and immediately liked her style. She's a New Yorker. Some people are turned off by that accent, but I have always been drawn to it. I, myself, am a New Yorker, you know. OK, Northville may not be quite as exciting as Manhatten but it's in New York and it counts.

Here's the thing. I sent her an email earlier today to tell her a couple things, one of which being that I have not had any alcohol since Sunday. That's a big deal for me! Her response? "Did we finalize a time for next Monday"?

Ummm...excuse me? Did you not read the part where today is Wednesday and I haven't had a drink since Sunday? Hello? Have you ever heard of an "atta girl" or "way to go"? She probably just focused in on the part about AA. I am so reluctant to go. Mostly because I live my life in my PJ's. I told her Monday that I'd check out online AA. Well I did. Know what they said? Go to a live meeting. I told my therapist this and told her that I'd go after the holidays. Guess that's why I didn't get my atta girl.

But still...right? Sunday til Wednesday? And tomorrow I will be able to include today.

1 comment:

J said...

So why do you think you need therapy? Having an obsessive personality that displays itself in alcholic tendacies is a problem but does not in itself mean therapy is needed.