Thursday, September 1, 2011

Where did August go?

I have no idea.

I haven't written anything (here) in a while because there really hasn't been much to write.  My mom had hand surgery and is recovering from that.  She was on good drugs for a while, so those conversations were fun.  I have been chasing after a job in Asheville that I really want.  Applied online, they called and sent me an application and a personality test, which I must have passed thank you very much because next was a phone interview, then an in person interview.  I called to follow up this morning and the lady thought I was a friend of hers and started talking to me as such.  Pretty funny!  I'll hear something early next week. 

Yesterday Robin hosted a luncheon for some successful ex-con stories, her bosses, parole officers and potential employers.  She was scared nobody would show up, so I went and so did Iris and Joe.  Robin is an excellent public speaker.  She really hams it up well.  She was funny, informative and really drew the people in.  There were about 40 people in attendance and I was really proud of her.  Until she went too far.  I know her better than anyone and I doubt even Iris and Joe picked up on the BS when Robin was finishing up her speech.  When she was talking about the re-entry program (prisoners re-entering society) and how there needs to be so much more than just giving them $40 and dropping them off on the side of the road.  It was all making sense and going smoothly.  Then she put her hand on her chest and so sincerely (NOT) said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, I hate to sound like a cliche, but....it really does take a village."    I must have blacked out for a few seconds at that one because I don't remember what came next.

During the whole thing, there was a nice looking man making sure everyone had seats, drinks, the pamphlets, stuff like that.  I knew who he was because Robin introduced me.  She has talked about him a lot and thinks the world of him.  He, however, is one of the success stories and spent a very long time in jail.  She forbids me to go into detail about these people so I can't say what he did.  Anywho, Iris mentioned how nice he seemed.  I told her what he did and she fake shuddered.  Next thing I knew, she was standing next to him, lightly rubbing his arm and telling him, "I was watching you.  You are a very attentive and compassionate man."  Then she came back to me and in true Betty White fashion from "Hot in Cleveland", she whispered, "Yeah, I flirted.  So what?"

(BTW - this past weekend I discovered "Hot in Cleveland".  There was a marathon.  Cannot tell you how much I friggen LOVE this show!!!!)

Speaking of Iris, I ran into her at the bank on Monday.  We stood in the parking lot for an hour.  If I get this Asheville job, Robin and I have already decided to trade cars.  I have a gas guzzler and she has a gas efficient car.  On Monday, Iris asked me if I ever considered trading in my car.  Told her no, that it's good to have a big car, and plus I happen to love my car.  Yesterday, after the lunch and the seduction of the ex-con, we stood in the parking lot and chatted (of course - no quick get aways with Iris).  Joe was complimenting my car and telling me how good it looks.  There is one boo boo with my car that I can't ignore and fix with duct tape forever.  The car is 10 years old and lived 9 of those years in the hot Florida sun.  I have a few rust spots on the roof that leak.  So far, the classy duct tape trick has been sufficient.  Mentioned it to Joe and he said that it could be fixed.  Out of nowhere, Iris said, "Well Joe?  Why would she spend money to fix it when she's gonna get a new car?" 

WHAT?  Why all of a sudden does Iris hate my car? 

As we were about to say goodbye for real, Iris took me aside a little.  Joe's hearing aid is broken and he'd have to go to Asheville to get it fixed.  They're old and old people don't like Asheville I've discovered.  I have volunteered repeatedly to take Joe to Asheville to get it fixed.  Iris discreetly thanked me for the offer, but she's decided to wait until they go back to Florida in November.  "He can be deaf for a few more months."

She was on my nerves a little, so I was happy to say bye.  Surely we'll see them this weekend.  A)  It's a holiday weekend, and B)  It's the Apple Festival, which is a big deal around here.   Iris asked, "Where are you going now?"  "Home."  Really I was going to go home and change my clothes, then meet Robin at Goodwill when she got off work.  I have totally put all my eggs in one basket with this job, and if I get it, I need a few things.  Goodwill is hit and miss.  Well yesterday was all hit for me.  Was super excited to find an expensive skirt and pair of pants.  Had some other things in the cart and so did Robin.  Turned the corner and who did we run in to?  Iris and Joe.  When she started rummaging through my finds (and looking at the sizes, I'm sure), I quickly grabbed them up and went to the dressing room.  Then they all stood there and expected me to model for them.  Joe yelled, "Kimi?  You need some help getting undressed?"  "No, I'm good Joe.  Thanks."

So now it's September, which is one of my favorite months.  Fall is right around the corner and I am fighting the urge to decorate.  Those scarecrows sure are calling my name though.

No comments: