Saturday, September 24, 2011

Make room, Betsey Johnson ~ There's a new team in town!

I LOVE PURSES!

I always have. It probably started around the time I was in 9th grade. I remember saving my money and buying my first "Etienne Aigner" purse. I can see that thing like it was yesterday. I loved the way it looked, felt and smelled. I may have even tasted it too.

In a former life (ie: Miami, the past eight years), I spent more money on purses than I would EVER admit to anyone. And I'm not just talking about the expensive ones either. I bought a purse at Walgreen's once. If I liked it, I'd get it.

(FYI: Most of those expensive purses are long gone. Sold them on Ebay to make money when we first came up here.)

Then I discovered Betsey Johnson. In addition to fun clothes and jewelry, she designs very funky purses. I have several. One is based on a NYC yellow cab, one is covered in cherries, one is based on Marilyn Monroe. A mall in Miami had a Betsey Johnson boutique, but another great place to find her bags is TJ Maxx.

Robin and I used to go to TJ Maxx and think nothing about splitting up, each with our own carts, and meeting at the checkout counter. We'd buy pretty much what we felt like and didn't bat an eye. It was TJ Maxx, afterall, not Neiman Marcus.

Until last Friday, we hadn't been to TJ Maxx since we moved to NC. Until I get a job (which, BTW, I did not get the last job I wanted - that's why I've been quiet, Cybermatic. Cybermatic wants to know WTH I do all day and why haven't I been here), shopping sprees are off limits to us. We did, however, go to TJ Maxx last week. I needed a winter coat. Hadn't gone there planning on finding a coat - we just wanted to look. Well I did find a coat. It was exactly what I had in mind and I got it. No buyers' remorse. It's a coat. It gets cold up here. I needed it. (Then, when I was about to pay back my mother some money I owed her, she insisted I keep it and consider the coat a gift. Thank you again, HMQoB!!! {HOT MAMA ~ QUEEN of BEAUTY - she's insisted I call her that ever since I can recall.}).

While at TJ Maxx, I couldn't help look at the purses, just like Robin couldn't help look at the watches. That's her thing. Both of us recognized the difference in us and how although it would have been great to get a new purse for me and a new watch for her, we'd live without them.

When we went to the Coon Dog Festival a few months ago, she bought a wallet made out of lime green duct tape. It's held up perfectly. The other night she was focused on the computer and come to find out, she was googling how to make things out of duct tape. She came home yesterday with a Walmart bag full of different colored duct tape - pink, green, orange, yellow, black and white check, and camouflage. By the time I made dinner, she made the above pictured purse for me. I designed it as far as the shape and colors, but she made it. I absolutely love it!

So, being the obsessive complusive couple we are, guess what we'll be doing this weekend?   We are giving serious consideration to trying to sell these and I thought of a website name:  "SHUT THE DUCT UP!" Need to research that. Tape comes in all kinds of sports teams too. Going to Michael's today to get some, if we decide there's a market for it. I know many Gator fans and I'm sure there's Gator tape out there. Maybe not in NC, but surely we could order it online. (I know, I know. I have many Seminole friends too. Wouldn't leave you out, Melissa and Robbie!)

Now, if only I could learn how to make a watch for her.

No comments: