Thursday, September 8, 2011

This kid was at the grocery store yesterday.

I don't have kids, so maybe I have no business writing about brats.

Sure my heathens are brats.  Right now they are wildly barking at a older man walking his cocker spaniel down the street.  The weather is gorgeous (sorry, Florida) so the windows are open and it's exceptionally embarassing.  The man pointed at my house and said someting to his dog.  Probably something like, "That's how not to act."

Whatever.  They're dogs.  Dogs bark.

But I would like to think that if I did have a kid, that he or she (OK - she) would be smart, funny, kind, beautiful and talented.  Those are things not really in our control though.  I do know that I would teach my kid to have manners.  And she'd use them.  Or else.  I have never spanked an animal but I'm pretty sure that as a mother, I'd be an advocate of the spankings.  There's a difference between spanking and beating.  Wouldn't be a beater.  (I don't think.)

Also my heathens are gonna be my heathens for all of their lives.  I don't have to worry about them becoming decent, well adjusted members of society.  Although, it would be nice if they'd get jobs.   

I pulled into the grocery store parking lot yesterday.  I drive like an old lady according to Robin, so it was to my surprise that I almost hit a toddler.  He was with his mother and two other babies.  He darted out of the car and ran right in front of me.  The mother didn't even see it.  She was busy adjusting a baby to her chest and plunking another one in the cart. 

They all entered the store just before me, so I was stuck behind them.  Tried to get around them and the boy jumped on the end of my cart.  I looked at his mother and she just said "Seth.  No."  Got around them finally and Seth took off like a bat outta hell.  His mother didn't even notice.  He ran up and down every single isle and his mom was oblivious.  A few ladies and I made eye contact and shook our heads in disgust.  He ran by his mother and she didn't say a word.  I was afraid someone would kidnap him, but then again, who would kidnap a child like that?  He ran around the entire store a few more times, then I guess he ran out of steam for a minute.  Went back to his mom and demanded ice cream.  She literally said, "Be a good boy and you'll get a present."  He took off running again. 

We checked out at around the same time and sure enough, there was ice cream in the cart.  Unbelievable. 

We were at the beach recently and a mother couldn't get her kid out of the lake.  Major temper tantrum.  He finally came out and she thanked him for listening to her.  What about smacking his bottom for not coming out the first 37 times she asked him to?

Now my heathens are lying on the back of the couch (Bodi), the coffee table (Brady), my chair (Buddy)  and Baxter is asleep on the floor by my feet.  Maxx is asleep in the bedroom.  Until the next walker by.  Or squirrel.  Or rabbit.  Or leaf.

I can only imagine how difficult raising one kid is, let alone three little ones at a grocery store.  But come on, lady.  Letting your kid run willy nilly in a parking and not even noticing?  Not good.

No comments: