Monday, August 9, 2010

OMG! THE LAST TIME I PREPARED A RESUME I WAS 24 YEARS OLD!!


Where have the years gone? I feel like I'm recently divorced and have to put myself out there again.

It's now time for the serious job search. I need to prepare a resume. We walked in to a trendy dog boutique the other day and I asked if they're hiring. Was told she needs my resume. OK. Miss 23 year old needs to know my work experience in order to determine whether or not I'm equipped to sell homemade dog cookies and collars?

This is going to be more difficult than I'd thought. I know it's a bad time to look for a job. I'm not an idiot (shut up). But all of that aside? I don't think I have actaully done a resume since I got my first insurance job in 1989. After that, it was all about who I knew and which insurance companies were willing to pay me more money. Then I moved to Miami in 2003 and because of all those years of being a workers' compensation adjuster, the defense attorneys already knew me. No resume necessary. (That was totally NOT a pat on my own back, believe me).

I have applied for a few jobs online and have escaped the need for a resume. The fact that I am sitting here typing this is proof that I'm still waiting to hear back from them. I just found a website for "free" resume services. Got half way through it, and of course, it wasn't free. So just now I put a Facebook request out there to see if anyone can recommend a truly free service.

Things have so changed since I last had to look for work. Everything is so electronic. Like right now, I am dying to email my resume to a job that I found in the paper this morning. When Robin wanted to get a daily paper, I thought she was doing it for her mother's sake (Iris told her to), but actually it's not a bad thing. Haven't seen this particular job online anywhere.

Plus, regarding the newspaper. It was Iris who found this house for us - in the newspaper. Robin turned her nose up at it, but here we are. Guess everything isn't so electronic afterall.

Yay! My friend just told me where to go. For the resume. Thanks, Denise!!!






No comments: