Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Dear God ~ Please stop this runaway train I'm on.


I am in serious danger of turning in to a redneck. Serious danger.

This has been my day so far...

Talked to my mom for 45 minutes (that was the highlight).

Showered and cashed my last paycheck from Miami. "CASHED" it, not "deposited" it.

Then we...we...pawned a gun. Yes we had a gun. And yes we pawned it. I have no idea what Robin paid for it, but it must have been a lot. The pawn man (actually, a very nice good ole boy - I can see where country boys have a certain charm) offered her $150.00 for it. I almost fell over. I would have been happy with $20.00.

Hit CVS ~ they're having a BOGO on my special water. Bought so many, the manager had to carry them out for me. Spent $9.60.

At around 10:30, Robin announced she was hungry and wanted breakfast food. A) she is never hungry, and B) she never wants breakfast food. Asked her where she wanted to go and she said "Waffle House". Oh come ooonnnnnnn. "I've never been, have you?"
Well yeah, but not that I can remember. "Waffle House" is where we'd end up at 3:00in the morning after "studying" in college. OK, maybe some in my 20's, too. And probably a little in my 30's. I ordered a BLT with no mayo and she ordered some huge breakfast, and at the last minute I couldn't resist. I threw in an order of smothered hash browns. It felt like the right thing to do. (That reminds me. I really should get that bacon out of my purse. Brought it home for the heathens.)

Half way through, she announced she didn't feel well and asked me to take her home. I did, and then made my way to, what else, Aldi's. I seem to consisently spend $41.00-$43.00.

Then I went to the liquor store for raspberry vodka. I don't think I have written anything about the liquor stores here. In Miami, there was "ABC", "Flannigan's", "Walgreens", "Total Wine", and a whole bunch of mom and pop liquor stores. Even the some of the grocery stores like "Winn-Dixie" and "Publix" sold alcohol. "Costco" sold it and so did some of the "BJ's" and "Sam's". I like the Smirnoff Raspberry Vodka. (For those who have read my blog for a long time, yes, I still drink, but not nearly as much as I used to. And I foresee even less drinking in my future - see below.)

Here? Here there is "ABC". Period. Oh, there's more than one "ABC", but they are few and far between and very secluded. I am so not kidding. They are literally off the beaten path. I've been to a few of them (the closest one does not carry the raspberry flavor, despite my requests), and I have never seen another woman in any of the stores. I feel like Hester Prynne when I walk in to one of them. When I first got here, we unknowingly went to a wine store. I walked in and saw that they only sold wine. I asked the man where I could buy vodka. I swear to you this was his response, "No ma'am. We don't sell that here, but I'll tell you where you can get the stuff. (The stuff? I wasn't looking for crack.) Go out here, take a left, right between the McDonald's and the Ramada, there's a little road. Take that road and at the end of the hill is an "ABC". Tell 'em Rich sent you". Thanks, Rich.

I've never exactly been proud of my drinking, but I've never actually felt dirty when buying "the stuff".

So it's now about 2:00. I've pawned a gun, eaten at "Waffle House" and slithered in and out of "ABC". Oh! I almost forgot! There is a gourmet restaurant at the end of my street (actually it's a road), that isn't exactly a restaurant. They prepare food for you to take home and heat up. They had a huge "HELP WANTED" sign out front. I swung by there on my way home. I need a lil sumpin sumpin until my dog sitting service sky rockets. I like to cook! This might be perfect! As I appraoch, I see the hours are 10:30 - 6:30. Not bad. I can leave for work at 10:29 and be home at 6:31. I walked in, all smiles and confindence, "Hi! I saw your 'help wanted' sign out front. What type of position do you have available?"

"Dishwasher".

Time to go skin a squirrel for supper.

No comments: