Friday, June 8, 2012

Thank you! Wait!!!!! What?

Robin has a super long day today.  Had to go to Winston Salem, which is about two and a half hours away.  Knowing that I'd get all my crap done early and spend the rest of the day feeling guilty (not really)  floating in my pool, I promised her a good dinner when she got home.  She requested meatloaf.  Great!  Something I could make in advance and we love the leftovers.

I went to the grocery store thinking all I needed was green beans (side dish) and ground turkey.  As I was perusing the meat, the butcher came out and said, "Look at your tan!"  I instinctively said, "Thank you."  Then he started talking about the tanning bed lady who allegedly made her child tan in a bed with her.  WAIT!  Was he comparing me to her?  At first I thought that I shouldn't have said 'thank you' because clearly it was not meant as a compliment.  Then he started talking about time shares and turkey legs and widows and oranges, and I decided he was crazy, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

(That reminds me of a time in college when a friend of mine got her hair cut.  Someone said, "You got your hair cut" and she said, "Thank you"  and I said, "Why are you thanking her?  It's not like she said it looked good."  That was so nice of me.)
Got home from the grocery store and realized that I'd forgotten about half of the things that I normally put in my meatloaf.  So I improvised.  I made (not  followed a recipe) a Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Meatloaf.  It's gonna be really good or really bad.  Robin always orders jalapeno cheeseburgers when we go out, so how bad can a JCC meatloaf be? (I named it, thinking positively, that she's gonna love it and will be requesting my JCC meatloaf for years and years to come.)

Speaking of going out...last night, spur of the moment, my friend Camille (formerly known as Fran, which is not her real name either but she complained that if I make up a name for her, she ought to be able to at least pick it out.  She picked Camille.  Her husband, Frank, didn't complain about his fake name, so for now, he's still Frank) called to see if I wanted to go to Main Street for $5 martinis.  The Main Street here is adorable and very trendy.  Robin assumed she was invited, so Camille and Frank and Robin and I went to a place called "Never Blue".  Sat outside and it was a lovely evening.  Except for the service.  The waitress we had was awful.  Ignored us basically and it was not busy.   Camille and Frank are from Charleston and are true southerners.  I believe I witnessed my first southern belle saying a big eff you without the recipient realizing what had been said.  They're known for doing that, you know.  The waitress finally came over and Camille said, "Are y'all short staffed tonight?"  Ouch!  What a talent!   

Contrary to a southern eff you...I swear to God on my dogs' lives this just happened.  Robin called to say that they're kinda lost but should be there soon and she'd be turning her phone off during the meeting.  Her boss' name is Jody and he is driving.  She said, with him sitting right there, "We're coming home right after the meeting.  I told Jody that if someone asks us to go eat or go here or go there after the meeting and he said "yes", I would stomp on his nuts."

I've said this 1000 times and I'll say it again, anyone who knows Robin, knows why I drink.  Everyone agress...bless her heart.

No comments: