Monday, June 4, 2012

"Getting to KNOOOOW you"

We all know this song...

"Getting to know you...Getting to know all about you...Getting to like you...Getting to hope you like me."

Some people you never remember meeting.  They've just always been there.  Your parents,  older siblings, Steph Paulin, Ingrid.  You get the gist.

Then there are people who you do remember meeting for the first time.  College friends, co-workers, future and ex partners,  Iris and Joe (I was terrified).  It's usually nice to meet new people.  That's what I'm kind of experiencing now.  Have met some great people in the last year, and so far so good.

You decide whether or not these new people are worth having in your life.  Most are, in my opinion.  Haven't really met too many people right off the bat who I wouldn't at least give a chance.

Then there's the next level.  How far do you want to let them in?  This is where is can be great and wonderful or tricky and hurtful.  Had an experience last year where it didn't turn out well.  We were getting close with a particular person and it went south really fast, mostly because it involved the heathens.  Went our separate ways and there are no hard feelings (on my part anyway).

Robin has met some very very nice people through her meditations and Buddha classes.  I, too, have become quite chummy with a few of them. 

But I must say I am at a crossroads with one of them right now.  I will call her "Fran".  Her husband, who I will call "Frank", can do no wrong.  He put up our pool.  Fran, however, can and does do wrong.  Oh so wrong.

Iris and Joe came over this past weekend to do a few home repairs.  I am home 99.9% of the time, but after last summer and a few death threats, not to mention divorce threats, Robin insists on being here when they come over.  She  refuses to leave me alone with them and I love her for that.  Now that we have some other peeps in our lives, I suggested that she invite Fran over too.   Joe would certainly be on better behavior if a new person, a buffer if you will, is around.  She was happy to oblige.

So Joe was fixing our back door and Iris and Robin and Fran and I were sitting on the back porch.  Joe can't hear, so he didn't know what we were talking about.  We started talking about babies which led to talking about menopause.  Robin refuses to admit that at the age of 51 she needs to face it.  I welcome it.  Can't wait, in fact.  Fran asked me a few questions.  Won't bore you with the details, but if you really want to know, message me.  Be glad to fill you in.       

Fran then asked me if I am experiencing hot flashes.  No.  She then announced that when she started having hot flashes, her doctor recommended using "wild yam lotion".  Makes sense.  I saw "Sex and the City II".  I saw what Samantha went through when she wasn't allowed to take her hormone replacement pills on vacation.  She read up on natural remedies and went crazy with the wild yams.

Then it happened.  They say you cannot unring a bell, and you really can't.  Fran told us, "You knooow...  That wild yam lotion is meant to be used all over."

I said, "Yeahhhhhh...."  And looked at her like duhhhhh.

"Well.  I didn't know that and just used it (looooooooong pause), um, ...."

And Iris piped in, "South of the equator?"

Fran, "Yeah, I just used it south of the equator."


I am so happy that I never joined the masses who gave up their carb filled regular potatoes for sweet potatoes.  Now I'd have to give them up. 

Oh Fran.  I don't think this is gonna be a deal breaker, but I got me some thinking to do

No comments: