Saturday, July 7, 2012

Wish I had a dollar for...











I wish I had a dollar for every time someone asked, "Which one is this?" and someone (Gramma or Grampa) would answer, "I dunno" in regard to the twins.

We went to visit my family last week for a week.  Met Skai and Silas for the first time and both Robin and I are smitten.  Got to spend lots of time with them.  We actually looked forward to feeding them while Gramma swiffered around to some "Hot Diggity" song on the "Mickey Mouse" show.  As much as she tried, my mother was not successful in getting us to dance with her.  (Also wish I had a dollar for every time Robin said, "I hate my life.")

The week went by too fast.  Went junking several days and one of my favorite things came right out of my mom's own garage - an old chandelier.  Shockingly enough, we also got in lots of beach and pool time.  Buddha and Brady, as always, played nonstop in the pool.  They played "who could get the white ball first" and Buddha cheats, just so you know.   Buddha stands on the stairs of the pool and swims to the ball and Brady stands outside of the pool and jumps for it.  One of the highlights of my week was when my mom was sitting on a ledge in the pool, trying not to get her hair (or makeup) wet, talking to Robin.  I was at the opposite end of the pool and her back was toward me.  I kept throwing the ball as close to her as I could get without hitting her, and Brady jumped in very time, making huge splashes!!!   Needless to stay, hair and makeup had to be redone.   (That's my gooooood booooooy!!!!!)

My mom's birthday was Monday and a friend of hers threw together an impromptu surprise party for her.  My mother figured it out and, of course, spent her birthday watching Robin and me clean her house.  (That's a total joke just to see if she's paying attention.)  A neighbor stopped by in the morning to drop off a gift.  I was in my PJ's with no make up on and I'm guessing my hair was in a pony tail.  (Safe guess because it always is.)  She stayed for about an hour and we talked about Asheville, jobs, dogs, etc.  She came to the party that night and I sat near her in the living room.  After a minute or two of small talk, she said, "And who are you related to?"  WTH!!!!  "I'm Kay's daughter, Kim."  She didn't recognize me with my hair combed and makeup on!!!!!  Talk about embarrassing!  Then, a lady walked in and I thought it was my mom's friend, Aida, and I ran (OK - walked) up and gave her a big hug and said, "HEY AIDA!!!!!  It's great to see you!!!!"

It wasn't Aida.   Another awkward moment.

Robin basically behaved well.  Until my mother forgot to buy her a "Chunky" bar.  Then she threw a tantrum.  She's still talking about it.  "If you asked Iris to buy you a "Chunky" bar, you'd get a "Chunky" bar.  Oy.

Speaking of Iris, today is Joe's birthday.   As a special birthday treat, we asked him to come over and hang our new old chandelier.  He said he's been waiting around all day, IN HIS BIRTHDAY SUIT,  for me to come over.  He 's pushing 90.  You're welcome for that visual.

And as I was wrapping this up, my mom called to see how much dog food I bought today.  I'd heard K-Mart was closing down and everything was 50% off.  Got up early to go stock up on animal supplies, only to come to realize that I'd been misinformed.  So I told her I am finishing writing about our trip and she said, "So this is the last time I'll ever speak to you?"  Told her I didn't say anything bad. 

See, Mom?  I would never announce to the thousands of people who read my blog (OK - the four of you) the fact that you........

No comments: