Saturday, October 8, 2011

No, this is not a duct tape purse.

Although.....?  If Lady Gaga can wear a meat dress, why couldn't I make a meatloaf purse?  Christmas is coming, people.  Contact me soon for your order.

No.  Today it's time to step away from the tape.  Was thinking about it, but when I unloaded my dishwasher this morning to find remnants of hot pink duct tape attached to my "I LOVE NY" coffee cup, I decided to definitely take a day off.

We were in such a purse making frenzy all week, we didn't get to the grocery store once.  Ran out of everything, so that was first on the agenda.  Robin decided it was time for a meatloaf dinner.  It's time for me to get BOTFRATTIRMI (back on track for real and this time I really mean it) with eating better, so I splurged on the 93 percent lean meat.  $4.49 a pound.  Bought two one pound packages.  We're going on a hike/picnic tomorrow and will have meatloaf sandwiches, a favorite in the Hellman Frasier household.  Got some other stuff and left the store.  Stopped at a convenience store and when Robin ran in, I checked my receipt out of boredom.   Two things of hamburger - $16!!!    Robin returned and I told her what happened.  "Oh Lord" was her response.  She is the type to let it go, and sometimes I'm OK with that mentality, but I just could not wrap my brain around a $16 meatloaf.

Returned to the store with meat and receipt in hand.  Went straight to the meat department to see who was responsible for the mistake.  Had to ask the butcher to come show me which meat was $4.49 per pound.  It was not the one I had picked up, but in my defense, the sign was very misleading.  Went to customer service and asked her to exchange one for the other.  Very nastily, she said, "OK, but, I'm gonna have to throw these two out because they left the store."   Sometimes I am easily guilted, but not this time. She angrily threw them in the trash and glared at me.  She then completed the transaction without saying a word and huffily gave me my change.

Once home, as I started putting the groceries away, or should I say, as I watched Robin putting the groceries away (she loves to do it), I started thinking.  She threw away $16 of meat and sold me $9 worth.  She should have apologized for the confusion and just charged me $9 for the $16 meat.  Then she (ie:  the store) would only be out $7, not $16.  Maybe I'll go back and explain my thought process to her.  She'd appreciate that.

No comments: