Wednesday, February 22, 2012

I normally don't have any trouble falling asleep.

And I chalk it up to my good clean living.  (HA!)  But last night I couldn't fall asleep.  I tried singing songs in my head, counting sheep, etc.  But I just couldn't shut my brain down.  It's like channel surfing in there at a rate of 100 miles per hour.  Got up, took a hot shower to relax.  Nothing.  I was tired, but just couldn't fall asleep.  So annoying.

So I decided to try some of the meditation tools I've picked up from Robin.  I laid (lied? not sure, so going with laid) there completely still.  I felt the comfort of the bed, the warmth of the covers and the cool breeze blowing across my face.  (We leave the windows cracked, even when it's freezing.)  I was beginning to relax.  Breathed in.  Breathed out.  Aware of every breath.  I felt myself giving in.  Then I started flexing and constricting everything I could, starting from the bottom to the top.  Cracked bones, flexed muscles, stretched what I could.  Felt the tension leaving my body. Made it up to my shoulders, then my neck, then my jaw.  Everything was relaxed and I felt myself drifting off. 

But then it all stopped.  I was to the top of my head and there was nothing to crack or stretch and flex.  Quite the opposite.  I felt like I had a two inch cement helmet on.  Nothing could be released. It was definitely holding me down and keeping me awake.  Get off!  Then I felt pain.  Damn you tension, exit.  Exit at once.

Instinctively,  I put my hand on my head.

My hairclip was too tight.  Took it out,  placed it on the bedstand and fell asleep before my head hit the pillow.      

No comments: